Missoula- Infant/Toddler Assistant Teacher
Hours: 30 hours a week | Monday thru Friday | Year Round
JOB SUMMARY: This position assists with the development, implementation, and supervision of center-based activities and maintenance of safe learning environments.
1. Supervised by the Early Childhood Development/Disabilities Manager
2. Works in collaboration with Infant/Toddler Teachers.
3. Works closely with other staff.
4. Has frequent contact with parents and families.
1. Must maintain confidentiality. Use discretion and confidentiality with matters of families
and program as appropriate. A signed confidentiality agreement form is required.
2. Establish and maintain a relationship of trust with Early Head Start families.
3. Establish and maintain professional boundaries with families when handling program and
4. Communication techniques and expectations:
a. Model effective communication.
b. Use appropriate channels and staff to problem-solve and refer families.
c. Meet problem situations with understanding and diplomacy.
d. Use a professional attitude and approach to working with parents, families, co-
workers and community volunteers.
e. Participate and promote a positive working relationship with all staff and Early
Head Start families.
1. Document pertinent information and submits to appropriate staff.
2. Maintain and submit safety and sanitation checklists in a timely manner.
3. Submit bi-monthly time sheets in a timely manner.
1. Attend in-service training as scheduled, including required state childcare licensing training and Montana STARS to Quality trainings within the designated time frame.
2. Obtain First Aid and CPR certification during probationary period and keep current.
3. Obtain knowledge of state and federal regulations pertaining to child abuse and neglect and abide by reporting standards.
4. Apply to the Early Childhood Project’s Practitioner Registry within 15 days of hire and remain current.
5. When applicable, complete CDA training and obtain Infant Toddler CDA credential within two years of hire date. Maintain certification thereafter.
WORK PLACE CONDUCT
1. Must attend and actively participate in required meetings, workshops, trainings, in-
service trainings, committees, etc.
2. Initiate and assume responsibility for own learning to keep current of job related
issues and best practices.
3. Seek training and/or assistance to implement improvements when needed.
4. Support all program activities, know and promote the goals and objectives of Ravalli
Head Start Inc. Be familiar with and adhere to the Head Start Program Performance
5. Be familiar with and adhere to Program Policies and Procedures.
6. Cooperate with co-workers and respect their opinions and contributions. Share
materials and ideas readily with co-workers.
7. Able to manage time and prioritize a busy schedule.
8. Able to practice stress management that is job related.
9. Be prepared and punctual for meetings and work.
10. To ensure continuity of care and in respect for co-workers, consistent attendance is
11. Communicate with supervisor and co-workers as appropriate if an absence is
1. Help prepare and maintain classroom and playground environment for daily activities.
Assist the teachers with active supervision of children throughout the day in the classroom and on the playground.
Maintain a sanitary and safe environment for infants and toddlers by cleaning, sanitizing (with chemicals), organizing, moving toys, and equipment, trash removal, laundry, and sweeping. Additional duties may include raking, shoveling, and movement of equipment on outdoor playground.
Help serve and clean up snacks and meals.
Participate with the implementation and evaluation of individual and group activities in the center.
Work with families and staff to ensure comprehensive services.
Encourage parents to participate in parent involvement activities the program offers.
Be prepared and on time for required staffings, education meetings, and all other meetings and trainings. Ensure designated follow-up is completed.
Communicate necessary information about children and families to primary caregiver/lead teacher promptly and without bias.
Participate in assessment of infants and toddlers as required.
Any other duties assigned related to Center-Based program and per request of Early Childhood Development/Disabilities Manager and/or Director.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
1. Must have a valid Montana Driver’s License and an acceptable driving record.
2. Must have a telephone or other means of immediate communication
Formal training in early care and education and experience working with infants and toddlers in an educational setting. Combinations of education and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Ability to maintain confidential information
2. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well with staff, infants and
toddlers, parents, and families
3. Ability to be flexible, open-minded, and to take direction well
4. Ability to follow and implement plans
SPECIAL AND/OR PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Essential physical requirements include:
1. Ability to work with cleaning/sanitizing chemicals and equipment
2. Ability to lift/carry 50 lbs.
3. Sufficient mobility and strength to repeatedly sit, stand, carry infant/toddlers, balance,
stoop, walk, bend, reach, kneel, crouch, crawl and have full range of body motion
4. Clear vision for close tasks such as working with computers, keyboards/screens
and paper documents
5. Sufficient manual dexterity and eye hand coordination to perform job duties
6. The position is within a business office and child care setting with computers, printers,
miscellaneous office equipment and varying noise levels.
7. Have reliable transportation to ensure consistent attendance and to travel to home visits, if
8. Must provide proof of Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) vaccination and documentation of
receipt of a Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Tap) vaccination.
9. May be required to work outside of regular business hours as necessary and to meet the
needs of individual families.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $11.65 - $13.25 per hour